THE VICTORIA ARTS COUNCIL IS HIRING
Operating within the traditional territories of the the Lək̓ʷəŋən-speaking peoples and with respect given to the Songhees, Esquimalt, and W̱SÁNEĆ Nations whose historical relationships with this land and diverse cultural heritage continue to this day, the Victoria Arts Council (VAC) was established in 1968 and is among the most active visual arts organizations in our city.
We are currently looking for a dynamic, skilled, and motivated individual to fill the role of Director, Community Programs as part of our small but dedicated team.
The Director, Community Programs is responsible for liaising with existing and new VAC members towards facilitating the placement of their artwork throughout the year at VAC satellite galleries, and for coordinating community programs/publications and related administrative duties that take place within the CRD in fulfillment of the Victoria Arts Council mandate.
Mandated to connect artists with audiences, VAC’s four primary programs include professional exhibitions in our Main Gallery, member showcases as part of our active Community Satellite Program, a monthly lecture series in concert with the international network Creative Mornings, and the publication of a quarterly digital magazine, UNTIL. Important annual events the VAC recognizes with dedicated community programming includes International Women’s Day and Day With(Out) Art. Across these platforms the VAC works directly with, and supports, upwards of 250 artists annually for an estimated audience of over one million visitors.
The Victoria Arts Council is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We are committed to building and maintaining an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of the audiences we serve, that holds up the tenets of anti-racist and decolonial activities in the arts and society.
We encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Applicants who identify as racialized persons, Indigenous persons (First Nations, Inuit, or Métis) and persons with disabilities, as well as individuals who are queer, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirit, gender-non-conforming, or * are especially encouraged to apply for this opportunity as a means of addressing systemic barriers to access or historical prejudice and in-keeping with the VAC Strategic Plan that outlines the need to provide more support for artists and arts professionals within equity-deserving communities.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.
If you would like to join our team, please submit a Letter of Interest along with your résumé including full contact information, outlining how your skills and experience qualify you for the position of Director, Community Programs, no later than 5PM, Monday 7 November 2022.
All applications are to be emailed to email@example.com in PDF format, attention: Kegan McFadden, Executive Director with the subject line: Director, Community Programs.
VAC Director, Community Programs job description is as follows…
Working in concert with the VAC Executive Director, the Director, Community Programs will be tasked with the following:
- Research and connect with potential community partners, working to develop targeted programming such as workshops, lectures, and info sessions/clinics that support the vision and mandate of the VAC
- Develop and maintain strong and positive ties with VAC members and staff, the artistic and cultural communities in our city, as well as other cultural workers locally
- Facilitate the rotation of temporary artwork placement through our community satellite galleries with Greater Victoria Public Libraries, the McPherson Playhouse, the Victoria International Airport, theDock centre for social impact, and Studio 531.
- Co-lead Creative Mornings Victoria presentations (selection of speakers, bookings, promotion, etc)
- Participate in the articulation of the vision, strategies and priorities of all community programs, including audience development across disciplines
- Plan the annual review and implementation of the Community Program policies and related documents
- Organize ongoing and singular special events that enhance and interpret exhibition program and/or community programming
- Play an active role in the implementation of International Women’s Day and Day With(Out) Art programs.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets related to Community Programs
- Keep an active presence on behalf of the VAC across the Council’s social media platforms
- Ensure that community listings are up to date to reflect the programs
- Update VAC website as needed
- Work with the Executive Director to identify key promotional opportunities for VAC programs
- Design / layout individual information panels and wall labels for all Community Satellite Program showcases throughout the year
- Design / layout VAC quarterly digital publication, UNTIL
- Develop written material for the monthly newsletter and annual brochures pertaining to Community Programs initiatives, including précis on all Satellite showcases, and key updates to Community partnerships
- Connect with local artists towards the selection of their work for public display throughout the community satellites, and as potential guest lectures for Creative Mornings
- Introduce new and exciting potential programs towards the betterment of the Community Programs portfolio within the capacity of the VAC
REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
- BC Driver’s license
- Proficiency with social media, including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Proficiency with design software, and digital interfaces including WordPress, Canva, InDesign, Google Drive, Photoshop, etc
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs
ASSETS BENEFICIAL TO SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
- Applied understanding of community arts and artist-run culture
- Cultural competency
- Critical thinking, creative problem solving, flexibility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Friendly disposition
- Highly organized with demonstrated time management
Deadline to Apply:
- 7 November 2022, 5PM
- 9-10 November 2022
- 22 November 2022, includes one week of paid job-shadowing
- Director, Community Programs reports to the Executive Director
- $30,000 / year, incremental raises in accordance with cost of living
- Part-time/25 hours per week, ongoing
- Flexible. Some work-from-home possible with approval, community site work mandatory, in-office days required
- The employee is eligible to join VAC benefits plan with Chamber of Commerce
- 3 months