The Victoria Arts Council is announcing 4 concurrent Calls to Artists:
1) International Women’s Day
2) LOOK 2019
3) Satellite Venues
4) ArtiShow 2019
International Womens’ Day
REWORKED: an evening of celebration + performance art in recognition of International Women’s Day.
EVENT DATE: Friday 08 March 2019, 7PM-9PM
OFF-SITE LOCATION: THE ROXY THEATRE – 2657 Quadra Street
[wheelchair accessible venue]
Sliding-Scale Admission at the Door: $5.00 – $20.00
[under-employed, students, and artists consideration in effect]
Deadline for application: 20 February
Artist Submissions for IWD2019 only through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Victoria Arts Council presents International Women’s Day: REWORKED, which celebrates art created by women, gender non-conforming people, and transgender people, and others who do not conform to normative and binary gender identities, roles, and practices in order to commemorate the history and ongoing fight for gender equality.
International Women’s Day: REWORKED is curated by Ciel Arbour-Boehme, a queer gender non-conforming student of international development and visual art at the University of Victoria. Ciel has lived on the unceded territory of the Lekwungen and W̱SÁNEĆ territories, Victoria BC, her entire life. As an uninvited settler, Ciel works to decolonize her learning and artistic practices. International Women’s Day: REWORKED is Ciel’s first curatorial role, and is honoured to work with the VAC to create this one-night celebration of gender diversity and artistic practice.
Artists are encouraged to email their submissions if they are interested in participating in International Women’s Day: REWORKED, which will see a showcase of live performances in the first half of the night, including, but not limited to drag, poetry, spoken word, and dance. The second section of the night will be dedicated to video work including narrative video, video art, and soundscapes. Please include ‘IWD2019’ in the subject line of your email, attn: Ciel Arbour-Boehme to email@example.com no later than Wednesday 20 February 5PM.
All applications will be reviewed by the guest-curator, Ciel, working in consultation with the VAC’s Executive Director, Kegan McFadden, with returned notifications no later than 27 February.
Interested in volunteering with the VAC for IWD2019? Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The annual LOOK show will take place Saturday 06 April through Sunday 28 April 2019 at a brand new venue: 747 Fort Street.
EXHIBITION DATES: Saturday 06 April through Sunday 28 April 2019
OFF-SITE LOCATION: 747 FORT STREET (between Douglas and Blanshard)
This is a fully-accessible venue, with street access as well as an elevator.
ART INTAKE: Sunday 31 March from 12:00PM-5:00PM and Monday 01 April from 2:00PM-7:00PM at 747 Fort Street
[all art must be accompanied by a completed submission form with payment in advance or at the time of intake]
OPENING RECEPTION: Saturday 06 April from 1:00PM-5:00PM
Art Pick Up: Sunday, 28 April from 5-6PM and Monday 29 April from 12PM-6PM.
Please collect your works from the 747 Fort Street location.
**Any unclaimed work is not the responsibility of the VAC**
This non-juried exhibition promotes work in all media from across our creative community; experienced and emerging artists alike are welcome. This yearly exhibition is widely recognized as one of Victoria’s premier art shows because of its inclusive community-based approach, with audiences in the thousands. The VAC is excited about this new 20,000 sq/ft venue that has been secured to offer one of the largest LOOK shows under one roof to help celebrate the Council’s 50th anniversary year.
- All pieces must be labelled, wired, and ready to hang.
- 2-D pieces up to 4′ x 6′.
- 3-D pieces must be under 8ft tall.
- Literary: One submission may consist of up to 3 pages, each page in the formatted in the artist’s preference to a maximum of 8″x 10″ per page. We ask that your submission be printed on a thicker cardstock in order to be exhibited appropriately. Your 3 pages may consist of one literary work or up to 3 literary works (i.e. you may submit a two page work and a one page work for a total of 3 pages, or you may submit one work which is 3 pages in length or 3 works each one page in length). The cost of submission is $5 for members and $10 for non-members. You may enter a literary submission in addition to another category submission.
- Installation: We will accept installation works as individual entries at $20/work for members and $40/work for non-members. The size and scope of installation works must be discussed with staff prior to set-up to ensure ample space for display.
- Large scale works will be accepted on a first come first serve basis due to limited venue space. Submit early to avoid disappointment.
- Each piece must be designated by category (Painting, Photography, Mixed Media, Printmaking, Drawing, 3-D, Ceramic, Craft, Video, Performance, Literary and Installation).
We are excited to introduce two new categories this year: Video and Performance. [Work in these categories should be discussed with the Council following submission.]
- Artists choose the category for each piece submitted.
- Artists choose the retail (sale) price of their work including all applicable taxes. Your work does not have to be for sale to be exhibited in the exhibition.
- Up to three works accepted from each artist, across categories.
- All pieces sold are subject to a 25% commission fee.
- $20 per work submitted for VAC members, $40 per work submitted for non-members.
Please note: The category you choose will direct your artworks placement for award selection.
Submission information: Please fill in the online application form. You may choose to pay your entry fees online or you may pay by cash, cheque or credit at the time you drop off your work. It is of benefit to fill in your online application form prior to art intake as your labels will be created from your application and you will be registered and guaranteed a spot in the show.
All participating artists are encouraged to volunteer with the show (intake, hanging, opening reception, sitting the show, strike, and cleanup).
Please email email@example.com if you are able to volunteer your time with any of these tasks.
Signing-up for volunteer shifts has its benefits!
Now Accepting Applications for VAC Satellite Spaces
The VAC partners with a selection of Greater Victoria Public Libraries, including The Central Branch, Saanich Centennial Branch, Bruce Hutchison Branch, and The sxʷeŋxʷəŋ təŋəxʷ James Bay Branch, in addition to a large gallery space at Victoria International Airport, as well as space with MLA offices.
This is a high-visibility opportunity for artists at various stages in their practice, though emphasis is placed on ready-to-hang two-dimensional work.
We are currently accepting applications for showcases in these spaces, to take place as early as March and continue throughout the year.
All members are encouraged to apply now!
ArtiShow Artist-in-Residence Program
Now Accepting Applications!
The Artishow Artist-in-Residence program is an extremely popular and exciting venture for the VAC which includes partnerships with high traffic hotels. Selected artists are provided a placement for one month period at one of our partner hotels in the Greater Victoria Region.
Artists will be provided both a gallery and working space for the duration of their residency with the expectation that they will be on site on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10:00AM – 5:00PM with all other hours to be determined by the artist. Artists are welcome to sell their work and goods as well as use the hotel’s Debit and Credit Card system. In addition, certain hotels provides benefits for participating artists including promotion, staff meals, storage, etc. The VAC will do extensive promotion for this program. Cost for participation in the program is $100 per month with 20% commission collected by the Council on all sales. Members interested in this opportunity are encouraged to apply now!
To submit your form, either:
- e-submit; or
- print and complete the form and mail to: Victoria Arts Council, 1800 Store Street, Victoria B.C. Canada, V8T 4R4
All applications will be adjudicated over the coming weeks, with results issued by the beginning of April. Artist in Residence opportunities are limited. The Arts Advisory Committee will make every effort to accommodate as many artists as possible using a fair and open process.